If you have a pair of black boots in your closet and you’re looking for new ways to style them, I’m here to show you all the ways you can wear them. You’ll see how easy it is to dress them up or down for various occasions.
In this post, you’ll see 32 black boots outfit ideas with styling tips that you can use as inspiration for your own outfits. You’ll see me wearing a pair of knee-high boots, platform Chelsea boots, and pointy-toe ankle boots.
Ready to talk about boots outfits? Let’s dive in!
What clothes go with black boots
Whether you have black ankle boots or knee-high boots, they’re super versatile! You can make so many different outfits with them and quickly look put together. Wear them with jeans and a white T-shirt for a casual look, dresses, skirts, and trousers for work or even a night out. Neutral colors like white, taupe, navy, and gray always complement black boots. But you can also wear them with color.
Can I wear black boots with jeans?
You can absolutely wear a black pair of boots with jeans. Jeans and black boots are classic pieces that are always in style. It’s an effortless combination that always looks put together. Black is a neutral color that pairs with any color or style of jeans. When you’re wearing black boots with pants that aren’t black, an effortless outfit idea is to wear a black top or accessories like a belt, bag, and jacket to tie the black boots into the look.
Wear your black boots with flare, wide-leg, cropped, black, and even white jeans. Let’s look at all the different ways you can wear them with jeans.
1. Black knee-high boots with wide-leg cropped jeans and a button-down shirt
With these wide-leg cropped jeans, I’m wearing tall black boots that fit right under the hem. This blue striped ruffle neck button-down is similar to these medium-tone jeans. I’m adding a black belt and bag to tie into the black boots.
2. Black pointy-toe ankle boots with blue denim flare jeans, a striped black sweater, and a quilted coat
I’m wearing pointy-toed ankle boots with a block heel for this look. Wearing a black and white striped cardigan and a black quilted jacket ties the black boots into the rest of the look.
3. Black platform Chelsea boots with narrow, wide-leg jeans, a striped button-down, and a maroon cardigan
For this outfit, I’m pairing black platform Chelsea boots with narrow, wide-leg jeans. Notice that I’m wearing a brown bag and a brown belt that peeks out of the waistband of the pants. The Chelsea boots have a thin brown line on the sole that’s hard to see, but it picks up on the brown in the bag. But you don’t need that accent line to wear brown accessories with black boots. Wearing shoes and bags in different colors adds even more interest.
4. Black platform Chelsea boots with wide-leg cropped white jeans and a striped top
Black and white are always chic paired together. And it’s no longer frowned upon to wear white after Labor Day. So you can definitely pair your white jeans with black boots. Tie them into the rest of the look by including black in other spots on the outfit. I’m wearing a black and tan striped shirt, black quilted bag, and black belt to create a cohesive look.
5. Black pointy-toe ankle boots with wide-leg jeans, a magenta top, and a checked coat
You can also wear your black boots with blue jeans and a colored top like the magenta top I’m wearing here. Adding a black belt and black and white checked coat with these wide-leg medium-wash blue jeans and the black ankle boots makes total sense here.
6. Black platform Chelsea boots with black kick-fit crop jeans, a sweater, and a leather jacket
Black ankle boots are a natural pairing with black ankle-length or straight-leg jeans. They fit right up under the hem, and the black ankle boots extend the look of your legs, lengthening them.
7. Black platform Chelsea boots with black flare jeans and a sweater
The black platform Chelsea boots have a lug sole heel that makes them the perfect height with these long black jeans.
Black boots with dresses and skirts
Ready to look at all the ways you can wear black boots with dresses and skirts? Let’s dive in!
8. Knee-high black boots with a black floral maxi dress and brown leather jacket
One of the easiest ways to wear your black boots with a dress or maxi skirt is with one that has black in it. The black boots extend the leg line. Notice how, in this look, I’m wearing a brown belt and brown leather jacket. It’s hard to see here, but the dress has a brown tone that ties into that color. Since the black boots match the dress, they fade into the background, and the brown becomes a pop of color that defines the look.
9. Black knee-high boots with an olive green dress
Olive green pairs perfectly with black. Black boots and an olive green dress create such a chic look together. Wear knee-high boots with a knee-length dress to keep your legs warm and for an elevated look.
10. Black knee-high boots with a chambray dress
This blue chambray dress is another natural pairing with the black knee-high boots. When you doubt if black boots will work, tie them in with a black belt and bag to ground them in the look.
11. Black platform Chelsea boots with a cream and black Breton stripe sweater dress
With a Breton stripe sweater dress, these black platform Chelsea boots create a casual look. The platform heel gives some height that helps to extend the leg line. Adding a pop of brown through a brown leather belt bag adds more visual interest to the look.
12. Black pointy-toe ankle boots with a black sweater dress and brown leather jacket
The easiest way to style your black boots is with an all-black dress like this sweater dress. Notice how these ankle boots have a brown heel, and the bottom of the boot is brown. This contrasting color adds more visual interest to any look you wear them with. And ties in a brown leather jacket perfectly. Pairing brown and black is so chic! And pointy-toed boots extend the leg line.
13. Black knee-high suede boots with a Herringbone sweater dress
Black suede boots instantly create a more elevated vibe. In this look, I’m wearing them with black tights and a Herringbone black and gray a-line sweater dress. This look is perfect to wear on a winter holiday.
14. Black platform Chelsea boots with a red and black plaid shirt dress
Here’s a look to show you how to wear color with black boots. The easiest way to style black boots is with a colored dress with black. Black boots are a great option with this red and black plaid shirt dress. Notice how I’m wearing them with a soft black cardigan and tights for warmth. Match your tights to your boots to extend the leg line and have an unbroken black line.
15. Black knee-high suede boots with a black silk midi skirt, black turtleneck, and black leather jacket
Black boots are the easiest to wear with monochrome outfits that are all-black. Thanks to the leather jacket, this look has a little edge, making it perfect for a night out. The different fabric textures in this look give it visual interest. The suede boots, the silk skirt, the soft turtleneck, and the leather jacket keep this monochromatic look popping. When you’re wearing a midi skirt, it’s completely fine to have the hem fall below the top of your knee-high boots.
16. Black knee-high boots and a plaid shirt dress
Here’s another example of wearing black boots with a patterned dress. This plaid black, brown, and white plaid shirtdress leans more towards having a mini skirt. Knee-high boots are the best option with a shorter skirt and create the perfect proportions. Add black tights to stay warmer on cooler days.
17. Black suede knee-high boots, a black trench coat, a black and white striped cardigan, and a black slip skirt
Here’s another elevated skirt outfit, but this time with a slip skirt that ends at the knee. When pairing a knee-length skirt with tall boots, it’s ideal to have a small gap between the top of the boots and the hem of the skirt. When you’re wearing a long coat with a dress, your look will be more cohesive when the coat hem matches the length of the skirt or falls within a couple of inches of the skirt hem.
18. Black knee-high boots with a black shirt dress
Here’s a great look for date night. This black shirt dress comes with an attached cloth belt that I’ve replaced with a more elevated black and gold belt. Black knee-high boots with black tights create a long black silhouette.
19. Black suede knee-high boots with a black and white plaid dress
The black suede knee-high boots give this dress an elevated look. Adding a pop of brown through the bag gives this look a fall vibe, making this a great one for Thanksgiving. Since my body type is larger on the bottom than up top, I love how a shirt dress fits my larger lower half.
20. Black knee-high boots with a black sweater dress and checked coat
I’ve shared this dress another time up above (with the brown leather jacket). Styling it with tall black boots, a black and gold belt, and this long checked statement coat gives it a luxurious vibe.
21. Black platform Chelsea boots with a black sweater dress and denim jacket
And here’s that sweater dress again, styled entirely differently! Black leather Chelsea boots, tights, and a denim jacket over the top give it a more laid-back vibe.
22. Black knee-high boots with a red holiday plaid dress
If you’re looking for a traditional and nostalgic holiday dress, this is it! The red plaid has a black stripe that pulls in the black of the knee boots and belt.
23. Black knee-high boots with a black velvet dress
Black velvet gives an elevated holiday feeling to this A-line dress. Adding accessories like this gold chain necklace and this black and gold belt adds pops of visual interest to the look.
Black boot outfits with pants
24. Black knee-high boots, wide-leg cropped pants, and a gold metallic blouse
Black boots are a natural choice with a metallic piece like this gold blouse. I’m wearing them tucked under the hem of some wide-leg cropped black pants.
25. Black pointy-toe ankle boots with black wide-leg trousers and a short black tweed sweater
You may have seen my Instagram post describing this outfit. I love it so much! It’s an all-black look that’s elevated by little details like the texture of the tweed cardigan with brass buttons and the black ankle boots with a contrasting brown sole that pulls in the brown of the bag.
26. Black pointy-toe ankle boots with black wide-leg trousers and a chambray shirt
You saw these trousers with a fitted short sweater in the last look. But you can also wear a looser button-down shirt like this chambray shirt that adds a laid-back vibe to the look, especially when you do a messy roll of the sleeves.
27. Black platform Chelsea boots with black wide-leg trousers and a short cable-knit mock-neck sweater
These black platform Chelsea boots are also a great option with these trouser pants. They’re a bit more casual but have the height from the heel to be a comfortable option. The cable-knit sweater adds visual interest and texture to the look.
28. Black platform Chelsea boots with black wide-leg trousers and a Breton stripe collared sweater
A Breton stripe sweater is an easy way to add visual interest to an outfit! Here’s an easy work outfit for cooler weather.
29. Black platform Chelsea boots with black wide-leg trousers, a white crewneck top, and brown leather jacket
Here’s a look you could wear from work to a night out. The fitted white top creates a balanced silhouette with these flowy black pants. And the brown leather jacket gives a little bit of an edgy vibe.
30. Black pointy-toe ankle boots with black wide-leg cropped pants and a black cardigan
Here’s another look with wide-leg cropped pants. The look is chic thanks to the fabric of the pants and black pointy-toe ankle boots. Wear your short cardigan buttoned up like a shirt for a super current look.
31. Black pointy-toe ankle boots with black coated wide-leg jeans, a striped button-down shirt and cardigan
Black ankle boots are perfect with black faux leather pants or coated jeans like those I’m wearing here. Pair them with a striped ruffle-neck button-down shirt and maroon cardigan for a multilayered, textured look.
32. Black pointy-toe ankle boots with black cords, a gray turtleneck, and Houndstooth blazer
Black ankle boots are the perfect pair of shoes to wear with black cords in the winter season when you want to keep your feet warm. This is such a classic look with a brown Houndstooth blazer and light gray turtleneck.
Black boots are neutral, stylish, and effortless, making them the best shoes for so many situations. They define your whole look. Experiment with them and have fun trying them in new and different ways. Wear them in a way that works for your personal style, and that feels like you.